Kangkung belacan is a common dish in Singapore. This dish is easy and simple to make. Kangkung Belacan is a classic Malay recipe stir fried with spices and served hot at dinner!
- 300-400g Morning Glories (Kangkung)
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 tbsp dried shrimp (soaked in hot boiling water until softened, drained)
- 3 red chilies (seeded)
- 6 shallot or 1 medium onion (peeled and sliced)
- 2 garlics (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon belacan (Shrimp Paste)
- A pinch of salt and sugar
1. Trim the morning glories into 3-inch lengths and separate the stems and leaves.
2. Blend the garlics, onions and chillies until smooth.
3. Put the cooking oil in a wok over medium-high heat, add the Belacan paste & blended mixture and cook for 3-4 minutes until fragrant.
4. Add in the stems, and stir-fry at high heat until well mixed (This should take less than 2 minutes!). Then put the the leaves, keep stir fry until wilted.
5. Add a pinch of salt and a sprinkle of sugar to taste.
6. Serve immediately steamed rice.