Hot pot, or hotpot (simplified Chinese: 火锅; traditional Chinese: 火鍋; pinyin: huǒguō), also known as steamboat, is a Chinese cooking method, prepared with a simmering pot of soup stock at the dining table, containing a variety of East Asian foodstuffs and ingredients.
While the hot pot is kept simmering, ingredients are placed into the pot and are cooked at the table, in a manner similar to fondue. Typical hot pot dishes include thinly sliced meat, leaf vegetables, mushrooms, wontons, egg dumplings, tofu, and seafood. The cooked food is usually eaten with a dipping sauce.
Archeological evidence shows that the earliest hot pots appeared around the Zhou dynasty. The tripod of Zhou dynasty may be the earliest prototype of hot pot. Diners among the nobility each had a personal pot. The pot was made of bronze, and named "Ran Lu" (Chinese: 燃炉). The main part of "Ran Lu" was a stove for carbon burning, with a plate for carbon dust under and a small pot above. Later, during the Qing dynasty, hot pot became popular among the emperors.
In particular, the Qianlong Emperor was very fond of hot pot, and would eat it for almost every meal. Later, the Jiaqing Emperor also had a banquet with 1550 hot pots at his coronation. Empress Dowager Cixi was also known to have enjoyed hot pot, especially in the winter months.
Only took 5 steps to make delicious hotpot.........
Step 1: Equipments
You will need an induction cooker, pot, ladle and tablewares.
If you are missing some items mentioned above you can shop at here
Step 2: Broth
You can choose Whole Pot or Half and half pot depending on your pot size (Single or Twin pot).
Currently, Eatoo provides four broths:
- Beef Fat Chilli Base - brief description...
- Mixed Mushroom Base - brief description...
- Pork Bone Base - brief description...
- Tomato Base - brief description...
Choose your broth at here
Step 3: Ingredients
Eatoo provides over 40 fresh ingredients; carefully select the ingredients, and always try our best to deliver a high quality of our dishes with the seasonality of food throughout the year.
Ingredients can be catalog as:
- Meat - Meat can give your broth a delicious flavour
- Seafood - King prawn and Scallops are highly recommenced to your hotpot
- Vegetable - Chinese Cabbage, Tofu, Mushroom..., all the vegetables are suitable to your hotpot
Oh.... ONE MORE THING, Noodles!!!
Noodles goes really well with the hotpot, make sure you get some noodles, such as Udon noodle or Crystal noodle.
Choose your ingredients at here
Step 4: Dipping sauce
For dipping sauce Eatoo provides:
- Chili Oil
- Chili Powder
- Chopped Green Onion
- Chopped Peanuts
- Fermented Bean Curd Sauce
- Oyster Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Sesame Sauce
- Thai Red Pepper
Step 5: Cook
- Pull the broths into the pot. Each pack of broth add approximately 600g of water to dilute
- Wait till the broth started boiling
- Pull all the ingredients into the pot and enjoy the experience with friends and family